Q: What areas are educators available in?

A: We have registered educators in the following areas: Evans Head; Swan Bay; Broadwater; Ballina; Alstonville; Wollongbar; Richmond Hill; Tintenbar; Eltham; Knockrow; Lennox Head; Suffolk Park; Byron; Tyagarah; Mullumbimby; Brunswick Heads; Ocean Shores; Murwillumbah; Uki. If we cannot find an educator in your area, we will try to locate one that is as close to either your home or work, as possible.

Q: How much does Family Day Care cost?

A: Ballina Byron Family Day Care is a deregulated scheme. This means that registered educators can set their own fees and charges. Fees therefore vary depending on the family’s choice of educator. Families will receive a copy of their individual educator’s fee schedule and payment requirements at the time of interview.

Q: How do I enrol my child with an educator?

A: 1. Complete a waiting list application. 2. A Coordinator will review your request for care and match your needs to available educators. 3. If a position is available, a coordinator will contact you and advise how to register your child for care. 4. If positions are not available, your name remains on the waiting list. We will contact you as soon as a position becomes available.

Q: I have not heard anything about my Family Day Care application. What should I do?

A: Once you provide us with your requirements for care, we contact you if a position becomes available, or if we require additional information from you. You are however; always welcome to contact us to enquire about your application. It is important to contact the scheme if any of the details you initially provided to us have changed.

Q: I have a baby and a toddler. Can my children go to the same educator?

A: Yes. Family Day Care encourages family grouping and helps parents to find the most suitable educator for their family.

Q: What happens if I am not happy with the educator I am referred to?

A: If you feel that the educator does not suit your family’s needs, you are under no obligation to commence care with them. Advise the educator you no longer require the position, then contact the Family Day Care Coordination Office and discuss your needs with one of our Coordinators.

Q: How do you choose educators for Family Day Care?

A: Prospective educators are required to complete a thorough registration process. This involves an assessment of the prospective educator and their home environment during an interview. If a person is suitable to be an educator personal referees are contacted, compulsory Working with Children Checks on the educator and all adult members of the household are required. The home environment requires a thorough risk assessment before commencement of registration. All prospective educators are required to hold a current senior first aid, asthma & Anaphylaxis certificate, as well as a Certificate lll in Children and Family Services or be actively enrolled in Certificate lll by 2014.

Q: What will my child do while in Family Day Care?

A: Educators offer a written program of age appropriate early learning experiences, equivalent to those found in childcare services such as a preschool or long day care centre. Children enjoy a balance of indoor and outdoor play experiences including art and craft, language, numeracy, science, and transition to school.

Q: How can I reduce the cost of my childcare fees?

A: Families can apply for Child Care Subsidy (CCS) by contacting the Department of Human Services on 136 150. These government benefits are available for a majority of families and assist in reducing the cost of childcare fees. CCS is paid directly to the educator in order to reduce your out of pocket child care expenses.

Q: How many children can an Educator look after?

A: The maximum number of children an Educator can look after is 7 however only 4 can be under school age (including their own children).

Q: Can I select the Educator?

A: Where possible we try to match you with the Educator of your choice ,however we do need to follow the priority of access policy.

Q: What happens if my Educator is sick or they are going on holidays?

A: The co-ordination unit will try and find an alternate Educator for your child. An Educator will give families notice when they are going to take holidays. Some of our Educators use relief Educators when they take leave. You would need to discuss this arrangement when commencing family day care.

Q: Can an Educator just go anywhere with my child?

A: No. Before an Educator leaves their home, they must have your signed permission and have completed a risk assessment before an excursion can take place. All excursions must be for the benefit of the children with typical locations being a playgroup, park, or another Educator's home for a play session. If you are not comfortable with your child being taken out on a routine excursion, please talk to your Educator.


"It has been a rewarding and even challenging life experience becoming committed to Family Day Care in our home.  My wife, Geraldine has embraced this commitment 100% and I now understand the real b..."

View all Testimonials

Latest News

Parent Newsletter 2019

01 Aug 2019

Parents Newsletter 2019 ...